The International Broadcaster Coalition Against Piracy (IBCAP) announced the addition of a new member, Star US LLC, an affiliate of The Walt Disney Company.
Star operates a television network that reaches more than 700 million viewers in nine different languages every month and a popular streaming platform (Disney+ Hotstar), Disney Star joins an impressive list of IBCAP members in the fight against piracy.
IBCAP’s broad anti-piracy protection services and solutions will now cover the Disney Star channels that are highly popular in the U.S. with the South Asian diaspora.
- Star Plus
- Star Bharat
- Star Gold
- Star Gold Romance
- Vijay TV
- Vijay Super
- Asianet Plus
- Asianet Movies
- Star Maa TV
- Star Maa Movies
- Star Maa Gold
- Star Maa Music
- Star Jalsha
- Jalsha Movies
- Star Pravah
- Pravah Picture
- Star Suvarna
- Suvarna Plus
- Life OK
As part of its membership, IBCAP will provide anti-piracy protection for the organization’s linear and VoD content, including popular films and series.
These services include:
- Monitoring and detection services for linear channels delivered to set-top boxes, Web browsers, mobile apps, Kodi addons and playlists; for on-demand programming delivered to STBs, Web and mobile apps; and for sales and marketing over online retail outlets and social media
- Enforcement actions, including abuse notifications sent by IBCAP’s piracy detection platform, plus takedown notices sent by attorneys to CDNs, pirate services, online retailers and social media platforms, and to payment processors
- Investigations by private investigators
- Coordiation with law enforcement and referrals on behalf of IBCAP members
- Access to IBCAP databases, forensic work
Other services include reporting, litigation support, registration of foreign works with the US Copyright Office, piracy awareness campaigns to consumers and resellers, and other marketing support.
Original press release
Disney Star joins IBCAP. Press release. January 23, 2024. International Broadcaster Coalition Against Piracy
Why it matters
“We are pleased to welcome Disney Star as our newest member,” said Chris Kuelling, executive director of IBCAP. “Star is a highly recognized brand not only in India, but also throughout South Asian communities in the U.S. We are confident that we will have similar success in removing or disrupting illegal streams of Star content as we have done for other IBCAP members.”